Bearder Family
December 11, 2017, 09:17:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Harrison family  (Read 4006 times)
suedhc

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »

We know that John Bearder married Hannah Harrison in 1804 in Halifax parish church.

A Hannah Harrison was baptised at Illingworth on 1st August 1784 - this entry was included in the Halifax parish church records. Hannah was the daughter of John Harrison of Ovenden.

Frank has found a marriage of a John Harrison and Elizabeth Mitchell, both of Ovenden, on 12th April 1784. John was a weaver.

I subscribe to 'Find My Past' so have unlimited access to the censuses. Ihad a look at the 1841 census for any Harrison families in the Ovenden area, and came across a Betty Harrison, aged 82 (so born c 1759). Could this be Elizabeth? She would be the right sort of age. John and Hannah's first daughter was called Betty or Betsy. Betty Harrison was living with a James Bolton age 25, but of course no relationships are included in this census. There were very few other Harrison families in Ovenden - one of these was a James age 35, whose family included a Martha age 61 (b 1780).

The 1851 census includes a John Harrison b c1786, and living in Ovenden (with a daughter called Betty) and Mary Harrison, a widow b c 1786, living with Joseph Harrison.

I have downloaded a copy of the census image for Betty Harrison, but not sure if it is possible to insert it here.

Frank, do you think it would be worthwhile to check for the children of John Harrison and Elizabeth to see if includes any of the above and if this gives us any more clues?

Sue
Frank

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 10:10:37 PM »

I too am a subscriber to FmP and am a member of CFHS (they are excellent for Halifax) and I also thought of going after John and Elizabeth Harrison's other kids. I am a bit busy with another project at the moment, but am very willing to search as soon as I can.
    Frank
bobbond

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 10:49:52 PM »

Just a thought.  Illingworth has it's own church, St Mary where the christening was performed on Hannah on 1 Aug 1784.  If the John Harrison and Elizabeth Mitchell are the parents why did they not get married at Illingworth?

Maybe the Halifax church was more fashionable, but you would think they would get married near to where they lived?

Bob

Bob

"Everybody has to believe in something.....I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields
Frank

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 12:16:56 AM »

I should have put my work on Hannah Harrison on the Forum before, but I didn’t want to mislead anyone. Here is what I know.
First, only Elland (St. Mary), Halifax (St. John) and Heptonstall (St. Thomas) were licenced for marriages. The number from Heptonstall is miniscule.
John Harrison and Elizabeth Mitchell, both of Ovenden, married 12/4/1784 at Halifax (FmP/CFHS). It seems certain that the Hannah Harrison, born 1/8/1784 in Ovenden (IGI) was their daughter. However, is she “our” Hannah Harrison?
I searched for Hannah Harrison born at appropriate time in Halifax and found only 1 other, baptised 29/10/1786, Stainland, St. Michael, father Joseph (FmP).
I searched for possible siblings of Hannah Harrison in Halifax 1774 – 1794 and found only 3: Elisabeth (1777, IGI, member submission), Martha (1780, mem sub.) and Sarah (FmP 13/5/1792, father Joseph, Skircoats).
I then did a search, for B. and D. of Harrisons in Halifax and found an interesting one: a John Harrison was buried at Coley (St. John) 10/5/1807; the informant was his son Samuel. It was then that I noticed that this was the first entry for Coley that I had seen. So I performed a random search, using my Halifax ancestors (e. g. Bottomley, Fletcher, Brier, Lumb, as well as Harrison and Mitchell) and found a relatively small number of hits. Even in those few there were problems, e. g. comments such as “Coley Register missing, data from Halifax”, “Name illegible” etc. There is some issue with the Coley registers.
At present I question Hannah Harrisons birth and parentage and will do so until the Coley question is solved.
Sorry for not posting earlier.
Frank
bobbond

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 06:29:56 AM »

Ancestry have recently published a huge amount of church registers for west Yorkshire with images.  But as far as I can see none for Coley.  Not sure why.  As a result not even our Bearders are listed.  But the Illingworth and Ovenden ones are.  I did look but there was nothing conclusive.  Sadly it appears that methodist registers are also not included.

Bob

"Everybody has to believe in something.....I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields
Frank

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 10:48:04 PM »

As Bob wrote, Ancestry has uploaded a huge batch of original registers and certificates for the West Riding. I have been combing these for my Bottomley ancestors and found problems e.g. that the indices are often incomplete or that the name, location or occupation have been incorrectly transcribed. I have therefore resorted to the tedious task of inspecting the entries myself, with considerable success. For diversion, I turned to the Bearders.
1. Priscilla Bearder died in 1823 in Northowram and was buried at Illingworth St Marys on 6/6/1823.
2. A search, using only the index, for the death of John Bearder in Halifax 1813 – 1843, came up blank.
3. The Coley registers are missing from 1766 to 1779 inclusive. However, scattered entries for Coley and other parishes appear in the Halifax St John registers and are indexed under St John. I inspected the Coley registers for 1780 to 1788, inclusive, and can find no baptism of any Hannah Harrison. The only Hannah Harrisons that I can find are Illingworth, 1/8/1784, father John; Lightcliffe (amongst St John list), 14/10/1791, father James; and Ripponden/Rishworth (probably at Barkisland), 8/6/1783, father William.
As Bob noted, the upload is C. of E. only. There were Nonconformist Chapels in Coley and Northowram and John Bearder may have been buried at one of them. George, William and Betsy were baptised C. of E. I think it unlikely that Hannah Harrison was baptised in a Nonconformist chapel and therefore the Illingworth one is correct. Any thoughts?
    Frank
bobbond

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 06:20:47 PM »

Hi All,

I think your logic sounds right, and I feel confident with the Hannah 1784.  I am not sure how we can prove it as certain evidence.  DNA will probably be the only way if we can find other relatives on the HARRISON side, which will show a link back to Hannah's mother.  If we are to go with Hannah 1784 then it seems very likely that the marriage of John HARRISON and Elizabeth MITCHEL in Apr 1784 are very likely the parents of Hannah.  It was very common for couples to marry when pregnant in those days.  I guess a try before you buy situation.  And I suppose not too uncommon today.  But I have many well documented examples of the bride being pregnant, especially in the late 1700's and early 1800's.

BTW.  Ancestry are supposed to be adding the Non Comformist registers later in the year.  October was mentioned.  So maybe further links and revelations will be uncoverd in the Fall.

Bob

Bob

Frank

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 10:21:48 PM »

I am going to browse the Ancestry data for siblings of Hannah Harrison.
 The following probably belongs in General, but here goes.

Dates of marriages and baptisms are important to us, because it is the only recorded evidence. They were less important to those involved. In the 18th century people such as the Harrisons, in the uplands of Ovenden, or my ancestors in the even more remote moors above Sowerby, married when they could make the trek to St John in Halifax. Many marriages are dated 25/12 and others, such as John Harrison and Elizabeth Mitchell on 12/4/1784, are at Easter (11/4/1784 according to the web). Those were the only holidays they had.
Baptisms only took place after birth. In the first half of the 18th century my Bottomley ancestors lived in Turvin, on Soyland Moor, about 10 km across rugged country from St Peters, Sowerby. No disrespect, but I am sure they waited until it was clear that the new arrival would survive before making the trek and even then, never in winter. The church functioned as a registry office and they never attended it for any other reason.
          Frank
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: