Bearder Family
December 11, 2017, 09:15:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: John BEARDER - Marriage 1851  (Read 3611 times)
bobbond

View Profile WWW
« on: December 11, 2010, 08:02:48 AM »

Hi All,

Do we know who the John BEARDER married Dec Qtr 1851 Bradford District was?  I found a marriage licence application for a John BEARDER of Worksop Co Nottm £200 dated Feb 1851.  The only marriage I can find on Free BMD for that period was a marriage in Bradford Dec 1851, but it is difficult to figure out who he married.   He doesn't seem to fit with any John's I have details of.  Any ideas?

Bob
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 08:15:23 AM by bobbond » Logged

Bob

"Everybody has to believe in something.....I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields
bobbond

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 06:46:30 PM »

Just thought I would bump this thread to see if anyone knows?  The John BEARDER who married in Bradford was John son of George (Mechanic) who married Hannah Maria SUGDEN on 26 Nov 1851 in St Peter's Bradford.  So nothing to do with Notts.  But that still leaves a BEARDER who spent £200 (I am sure a lot of money in 1851) and didn't appear to have married!  Any ideas?

Bob

Bob

"Everybody has to believe in something.....I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields
suedhc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 09:29:29 PM »

The John Bearder who married Hannah Amelia Sugden on 26 Nov 1851 was my 2x gt grandfather.

There was a whole branch of Bearders in the Notts area - assume some link with the Derbyshire Bearders just over the border. I have not done much work on this branch of the family. I had a look at John Bearders on the 1851 census and 1841 in Notts, but only 2 were of an age that could be married in 1851. John b 1806 was married to Mary b 1810 (1851 and 1841) and John b 1816 was married to Hannah b 1816 (1851) and Ann b 1816 (1841) - could be same wife? (Hannah / Ann interchangeable).

Somewhere I have a death certificate for a John Bearder in the Notts area, but can't lay my hands on it at the moment. I collected it as I was trying to rule out John Bearder deaths.  Will search and let you know, but I think it was around that time. But as you say, £200 was a huge amount of money. Does anyone know what the going rate was for marriage licences?

Sue
bobbond

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 06:01:30 AM »

Thanks Sue.  I think £200 was the going rate for a licence back then.  So unless something drastic happened to either John or his intended I am sure they wouldn't just break up and forget about the marriage.  But there is no marriage on Free BMD for the period in 1851, which looks likely.

Bob

Bob

bobbond

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 06:10:15 AM »

I went back and had another look at the document I found.  While you can't see it on the image I posted it clearly shows £200 I think, but further up the page it shows against other entries different figures.  One as high as 40,000 and others 100 !  So maybe the figures are not money.  Wealth, acres land?  Got me baffled on this one.

Bob

Bob

suedhc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 04:44:30 PM »

OK, have now located the death certificate of the John Bearder who died in Notts. He died on 5th Sept 1850, so it could not have been the John who applied for the marriage licence. Just thought it might have been the same person and that could have accounted for the fact that the marriage did not take place. Incidentally, the John who died was age 57 and was a sawyer from Worksop.

Sue
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: