Bearder Family
September 22, 2017, 08:56:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sheffield BEARDER's  (Read 2968 times)
bobbond

View Profile WWW
« on: April 17, 2011, 08:51:49 PM »

Hi All,

There are a lot of BEARDER's in the Sheffield area.  Do we know anything about that line?  Has anyone put all the IGI entries into any semblance of order?

Might be worth a try to see if there are any connections to the Bradford lot.  I know Sue, you got all the names from 1837, which you posted, but do we know who they are connected to?

Bob

Bob

"Everybody has to believe in something.....I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields
Frank

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 11:55:58 PM »

I used every means available to find Bearders in Halifax 1750 - 1900. I came up with only the usual suspects, plus two daughters of Alfred Bearder and Mary Ingham: Constance, b. 1887 (Halifax 2nd 9a 418) and Margarite Ingham (1894, 2nd 9a 408). Alfred and Mary moved from Bradford to Halifax between the birth of Harold (1884) and Constance. This means that all Bearders in Halifax, except for Amelia, are descendants of John, 1783.
  Then I turned to other areas. Using FmP I searched the 1841 census for Bearders in Yorks. This gave 54 names, in only 3 places Bradford (27), Eccleshall Bierlow (13) and Sheffield (14). I viewed the Bradford names and found all were in Bowling, in or near Sticker Lane, except possibly Joseph, in Broad Lane. Maybe he was a come-from-away and not a descendant of John. Still not absolutely sure, but it looks as though he is from John.
 Then I turned to 1851, which gave Bradford (40), Eccleshall (1) Sheffield (37), nowhere else. All the Bradfords seem to be in or around Sticker Lane, Bowling, but my lack of knowledge of the Bradford clan hampers me.
  So far it looks as though John Bearder is responsible for all Bearders in Halifax and Bradford. Except for Amelia. I don’t believe Amelia is coincidence and I don’t think she parachuted in to marry William Jagger either. By the way, Jagger is a name uncommon elsewhere, but common in Calderdale, so I don’t think he was a come-from-away. What happened to Amelia’s family? If she was born in Derbyshire about 1810, she can’t be a descendent of John Bearder, but she must be related.
suedhc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 10:16:25 PM »

There seems to be a  link between the Bradford and the Sheffield Bearders in a couple of cases. I have come across the following:

James Bearder b 1833 in Bowling, son of William and Sarah Bearder, married Alice Munday in 1859 in Bradford. They lived in Bradford in 1861 (census shows them in Wakefield Road), but sons William (1866) and Nelson Munday (1868) were born in Sheffield. For the birth of Fred in 1871 and on the 1871 census, they were back in Bradford (Rooley Lane), but then daughters Martha (1873) and Fanny (1875) were once again born in Sheffield (evidence 1881 census when they were back in Bradford living in Sticker Lane).

John Bearder's (1810) second wife Kezia moved to Sheffield after the death of John, although this may well have been because her parents lived there.

Sue
suedhc

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 10:33:13 PM »

See also my post called 'Property in Sticker Lane' on the Bradford section, as there is a point about a link between Bradford and Sheffield.

Sue
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: