Bearder Family
October 22, 2018, 08:50:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: John Bearder b 1783 Derbyshire  (Read 4256 times)
Salmac

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2010, 08:32:15 PM »

I have quite a lot of information on John Bearder b 1783 who married Hannah Harrison and worked for the Bowling Iron Co in Bradford from about 1805.

Does anyone have any information about where in Derbyshire he came from?

Also does anyone have any info on Hannah Harrison?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 08:35:05 PM by Salmac » Logged
suedhc

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 10:01:22 PM »

The only John Beader I have found has been John born 1783 in Morton Derbyshire, son of John and Elizabeth Bearda. Baptised 24th Aug 1783 in Morton church. However this cannot be substantiated as the only references to his connection with Derbyshire are from the 1851 census. Unfortunately he died just before the 1861 census when more information may have been forthcoming.

If indeed this is the corrct John Bearda in Derbyshire, then I have done a considerable amount of research on this family.  One point to recommend this theory is that this family were of mining stock. The John who came to Yorkshire, to the Halifax area initially, was most likely involved in the Low Moor or Shelf Iron Works as a labourer - a mining background would have been useful.

On the other hand, John is one of the most common names you can get, so there may well be other contenders!

Sue
suedhc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 10:08:34 PM »

Hannah Harrison was, I think, the daughter of John and Elizabeth Harrison.

Baptised at Illingworth on 1 Aug 1784, but included in the St John the Baptist (Halifax) register. John Harrison was 'of Ovenden'

Sue
admin
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 10:22:39 PM »

The John Bearder b 1828 m HA Sugden's biography says his grandfather (John b1783) was induced to move to Bradford to the Bowling Iron Co.

I have a letter from the West Yorkshire Archive Service regarding their curation of the Bowling Iron Co archives but have never seen the archives. (Ill attach if reqd)

Once upon a time I thought Id found a corporate connection between the Bowling Iron Co in Bradford with NE Derbyshire....

Agrred the connection back to Derbyshire is weak, what do you think we can do about it?
suedhc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 04:08:56 PM »

Well firstly I think we need to work from what we know is factually accurate.

1.   We know that John Bearder married Hannah Harrison in Halifax in 1804. He was ‘of Shelf’. His first 3 children were baptised at Coley and John was a ‘labourer of Shelf’.

One of the witnesses to John and Hannah’s marriage in 1804 was another John Bearder. This is more than likely a relation. Obviously not a brother, but could be his father, cousin or uncle. A John Bearder married Hannah Atkinson in Halifax in 1812. This John Bearder was a ‘miner of Shelf’, and Hannah was a widow. We know from John’s (1783) will that his first 12 children were the children of his first wife Hannah Harrison, so this marriage could not be him.
There is no record of any children being born to John and Hannah (Atkinson) in Halifax or Bradford areas. (Lets call him John the Miner.)This indicates that this John may be older, but there is no evidence for this. I have always thought that John the Miner was John (1783)’s father, but without any proof.
I have checked burials at Halifax for some of the years after 1812 for both John the Miner and his wife Hannah, but need to look at my notes more closely to see what years I covered. No burials were found.

2.   We know from the 1851 census that John 1783 was born in Derbyshire, and his approximate date of birth. If only he had been more specific!
I found a marriage of a Thomas Bearder to a Priscilla Sutcliffe in Bradford Parish Church on 7 Feb 1808. The marriage took place after banns but I have not seen these. Thomas Bearder was a miner. Subsequently i found a settlement certificate for Priscilla at Halifax in 1812. She was wanting to settle in Ovenden where her father came from. She said she married at about age 19 to Thomas Bearder of Shelf, but his settlement was at Sutton in Scarsdale  in Derbyshire. Very soon after they married he went for a soldier and she has since heard he is now dead. I find this particularly interesting as it links more Bearders with Shelf as well as with Derbyshire. Surely they must be related? Sutton Scarsdale is located very close to Chesterfield and not too far from North Wingfield and Ashover where there were lots of early Bearders (the name at this stage being Beardall or Beardow).

3.   In the early 1800s there are no other Bearders in the Halifax or Bradford area that I have located.

I do have lots of information on Derbyshire Bearder / Beardall / Beardow families, and will see what would be good to put on the Derbyshire section to instigate discussion.

As you can see there is scope for further research on some of the above, if anyone lives close enough to Bradford or Halifax archives. Any volunteers?

Sue
Frank

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 04:18:25 PM »

Acting on tips from Sue White and Bob Bond, I have found that a Hannah Harrison was baptised in Illingworth Chapel on 1/8/1784, father John Harrison. The source for this is Hugh Wallis' IGI index.
 Going further, John Harrison, a weaver of Ovenden married an Elisabeth Mitchell of Ovenden in Halifax, St John on 12/4/1784. The source for this is the Calderdale family History Society transcriptions vis Findmypast. Although these are promising, they need more work to verify them.
Frank

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 12:19:52 AM »

Sue is looking for a volunteer who is near the Halifax archives. I am approx. 8000 km away, but I am a member of the Calderdale Family History Society. I did a search on Bearder, Beard, etc, all BMD in Halifax 1700 - 1800 and came up blank on Bearder and only a single Beard, b 1795. I will plug away on Hannah Harrison as I have time.
bobbond

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 04:52:32 PM »

As I seeem to be the closest, it looks like I have drawn the short straw on this one.  I will try to get over to Halifax/Bradford before Christmas if I can but can't promise.  Getting the time to go through the week is difficult.  Unfortunatly work gets in the way lol.

Bob

Bob

"Everybody has to believe in something.....I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields
Frank

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 12:06:39 AM »

I don’t know whether Bob needs to go to Halifax.
 I have been researching the Harrisons in Halifax (St John). To recap, John Bearder married Hannah Harrison on 26/12/1804; both resided in Shelf. Sue found a Hannah Harrison was born in Ovenden, Halifax and baptised at Illingworth chapel on 1/8/1784, father John Harrison. I then discovered that a John Harrison married Elisabeth Mitchell in Halifax, 12/4/1784; both resided Ovenden.
  I looked for Hannah’s siblings with no luck. There is another John Harrison in Halifax, from Barkisland (BMD’s Stainland St Andrew) who also had a daughter Hannah, but she was born 1790, too late for us. She has several siblings. I looked in other areas of Calderdale, but drew a blank (Harrison is not a common name in Calderdale).
  I then turned to other BMd’s and came up with one rather interesting event: the death of John Harrison of Shelf, burial 10/5/1807, informant son Samuel. At least this proves that there were Harrisons other than Hannah in Shelf in the 1800s. At best, this is the death of Hannah’s father and she has a sibling, Samuel.

The record transcribed by CFHS has a footnote; “Taken from St John Halifax Register – Coley register missing”. This may explain why we are having difficulties finding people who live in Shelf.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: